Small Van Insurance

If you drive a van on the road, whether as a business or personal vehicle, purchasing and maintaining small van insurance is not only recommended, it is required by law under the Road Traffic Act. Made mandatory as a means of protecting other drivers on the road, small van insurance will help you pay for the costs—both property and injury–associated with having an accident. In addition, small van insurance will give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are always protected.

Quote  Now

Types of Small Van Insurance
If you are living or working in the UK, there are three types of small van insurance coverage to choose from, depending on your needs. These are:

• Third Party. Third party insurance is the minimum amount of insurance required under UK law. In essence, this is a liability policy to cover the costs of damages to another car or driver if you are involved in an accident.

• Third Party, Fire and Theft. Third party, fire and theft insurance, much like the name implies, covers damages to your vehicle as the result of fire or theft, as well as the third party coverage explained above.

• Fully Comprehensive. A comprehensive policy covers everything mentioned in the two preceding insurance policy types, as well as damages to your own vehicle if involved in an accident or some other event causing damage to your van. Some comprehensive policies will even cover personal or business items inside the van.

Small Van Insurance: What to Look For?
The cost of obtaining small van insurance in the UK will vary depending on the company, type of insurance policy, the make, model and year of the van, as well as the type of security measures taken by the van owner to protect his/her asset. There are, however, some items which may cost extra if not expressly covered in the policy. These include:

• Courtesy Vehicle. Many policies will cover a courtesy vehicle until your van can be repaired or replaced after an accident and some won’t. This is a great question to ask before signing your policy.

• Breakdown Coverage. This type of coverage, which includes basic roadside repair and towing, will usually cost extra if not agreed upon upfront.

• Legal Assistance. Legal assistance will help cover the court costs which may arise as the result of an accident.

• No-Claims Discount. Many companies will offer a discount after a certain period of time if no claims are filed. For good drivers this can save a lot of money over the life of the policy.

To drive in the UK you must have at least the minimum amount of third-party coverage, but if you are looking for a policy which will completely cover your costs after an accident, it pays to secure comprehensive coverage with all the extras.