Courier Insurance Quotes

Creative Commons License photo credit: zero (the unsignified)

courier insurance provides cover for vehicles when the carriage of other people’s goods is required on a “hire or reward” basis. It is a UK legal requirement to possess insurance if you are a courier delivery service or if you carry goods for hire and reward on a multi-drop basis. This type of insurance is similar to other type of vehicle insurance such as car insurance – the usual options are available in the event of a claim, such as replacement vehicle, protected no claims discount, and legal costs. The insurance also follows any traditional form of insurance cover: comprehensive, third party fire and theft, and third party only. You should expect your insurance policy to carry an excess, typically around £500 but most policies can have this excess reduced under extraordinary circumstances.

It is possible that you could be eligible for light haulage cover but this type of insurance often restricts the number of loads you are allowed to carry in one day, and could also limit the cover to pre-booked assignments. Although light haulage cover is a cheaper option, you must ensure that you inform your employer as many courier companies will not allow you to take on work without adequate insurance cover.

Quote  Now

Whatever insurance policy you take out ensure that you read the wording very carefully as it is imperative that you are aware of policy exclusions, for example, it is unlikely that you will be able to make a claim if you have left your vehicle unlocked. There are other exclusions anyone considering taking out a policy should know such as driving at airports, windscreen cover, and carrying hazardous goods are often excluded from insurance policies.  It is usual for drivers under the age of 25 not to be eligible for this type of insurance, and it is also usually necessary for drivers to have held a full UK driving licence for a minimum of 2 years.

In addition to courier insurance, which is a legal requirement, it is also advised to hold Goods in Transit (GIT) insurance and Public Liability insurance – these types of cover are often available at a reduced rate when you take out an insurance policy. GIT will cover the goods you are carrying against theft, loss and damage and is often a requirement of employers. Public Liability insurance will cover you against any claims from the public or customers for damage or injury caused by you, for example, injuring someone with a parcel.

Whatever your requirements are, ensure that you speak to a reputable insurance provider to achieve the best price and type of cover for you.